Sag Harbor Whaling Museum

Exhibits
Calendar
News & Events
Museum Shop
Our History
Information
Go to inventory page.
Membership
Sites of Interest
Go to Press
Go to Exhibit Archives

Museum Hours:
Oct 20th - Nov 2nd
Fri & Sat: 10am to 5pm
Sunday: 1pm to 5pm

Office Hours:
Mon - Fri: 10am to 5pm


Tours and school groups
by appointment
throughout the year.
Please call for details.

200 Main Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
For more information
Call 631-725-0770
Fax: 631-725-5638

Email: info@sagharborwhalingmuseum.org

Museum Manager: Greg Therriault
Business Manager: Vanessa Petruccelli
Collections Manager: Richard Doctorow
Museum Shop Manager: Michael Butler
Harpoon Committee:
Terry Elkins + Scott Sandell + Gavin Zeigler

Board of Directors:
Barbara Pintauro~Lobosco - President
Linley Pennebaker Whelan - Vice President
Zachary Studenroth- Treasurer
Anthony Brandt - Secretary
Joanne Carter
Robert Chaloner
Peter Drakoulias
Annette Hinkle
Peter J. Marcelle
Catherine Ross
Kathie Russo
Bettina Stelle
Lynda Sylvester
Tom Dakin

Our History

In 1998, on one of his many visits to the Hamptons, President Clinton was presented with historic information about the Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum. Once back in Washington, he handed the information over to the First Lady, who began the process of declaring our building a National Treasure. After much correspondence with Mrs. Clinton, the building which houses our museum was accepted as an official project of the Save America's Treasures program. Built in 1845 for $7,000, this building was originally the home of Benjamin Huntting II and his family. A leading citizen of Sag Harbor, Benjamin Huntting was the owner of whaling ships and made his fortune from the whale oil that was brought home on his ships. To design his family's home, Huntting enlisted the prominent 19th century American architect Minard LaFever. LaFever incorporated exquisitely detailed plaster ceilings and carved wooden door frames inside, with the temple-fronted portico and ornate corinthian columns on the outside, to make this building a piece of artwork not to be missed. After Huntting's death in 1867, his home was purchased by the well known philanthropist Mrs. Russell Sage, who occupied it as a summer cottage until the time of her death in 1918. In 1920 the building was purchased by the Masonic Lodge. The local historical society began exhibiting some of their artifacts on the ground floor shortly thereafter, and in 1945 the building was deeded to the museum. The Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum now owns the building, while the Masonic Lodge still uses the second floor as a Masonic Temple.